Typing Arabic in Photoshop

So I have Photoshop Elements 8.0. I don’t use it often, and I only really know the basic features of it. However, the other day I was trying trying to use a feature I thought I knew how to use fairly well, text fields, but I just couldn’t get it to work right. Why? Because I was trying to type in Arabic.

Apparently Photoshop text fields do not support Arabic scripts. If you type the words in directly, the letters do not connect. And if you copy and paste them from elsewhere, they rearrange and disconnect. This strange behavior is made more confusing by the fact that the font list actually contains several Arabic options. So why does it have Arabic font while you can’t even type Arabic script?

So I did a google search to figure out exactly how to type Arabic in Photoshop and I found these two templates for both Windows and Macintosh. The description explains it as an “Arabic text layer” but being a Photoshop novice, my question was “How do I use the Arabic text layer?”

After several attempts and multiple searches, I finally figured it out. So I thought I would share the process with any one else trying to figure out the same thing.

1. First, download the Arabic text layer and save it somewhere on your hard drive.

2. Open the template using Photoshop. You should see “مرحبا” written in big green letters. If you don’t have the image you want to edit open, go ahead and open that one as well.

Photoshop Arabic text

3. Make sure you have the Arabic text template selected. In the far right, you should see the image layers listed out. Right click the text layer and select the “Duplicate Layer” option.

Photoshop Arabic text

4. Select the image you would like to add the Arabic text to and click “OK”.

Photoshop Arabic text

5. You can now move the text field around and edit it. And the Arabic looks just fine!

Photoshop Arabic text

One cool thing I found in my search for how to type Arabic text in Photoshop was this list of Arabic paint brushes. Being the Photoshop novice I am, I didn’t even know there were additional paint brushes you could load into Photoshop. But these are so cool I just had to share them!

All you have to do is downlod the files to your harddrive, unzip them if need be, and then load them into Photoshop.

Photoshop Arabic brushes

There are all different kinds and they are quite fun to play with. Cool, no?

Photoshop Arabic brushes

*Ads*

Photoshop In A Day A complete Photoshop guide for people who hate normal manuals, aimed at beginners and moves on to advanced level. Learning Photoshop the Easy Way. A clearly written and illustrated e-book with a new method of learning.

800+ Photoshop Brushes Mega SetMore than 800 Photoshop brushes in 24 Photoshop brushes sets compatible with Photoshop 7.0, Cs, Cs2, Cs3, Cs4, Cs5 and newer Photoshop versions, PC/Mac Compatible, Commercial license – so you can use them in your commercial projects – 50% Off!

This entry was posted in Arabic Language and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Typing Arabic in Photoshop

1. wail says:

thank you thank you thank you for sharing this!

• admin says:

You’re quite welcome! I spent a lot of time googling and trying to figure this out myself. So once I finally got it working, I had to share so maybe others wouldn’t have quite as much trouble. I’m glad you found it useful :)

2. Dania says:

Thank you very much…this really helped a lot :)

3. mina says:

thanks alot… really thank you
    i’ve been looking for sucha thing for over a year now, and then i found that… i works great…. thakns

4. Brittany says:

What about Photoshop CS5? :/

5. dalia says:

wow thanks for this really useful link =]

6. Ali J H says:

Thanks a ton! u indeed saved great time for me.. appreciate it

7. eric says:

so confused, i got the template, when i duplicate it onto the image i want to edit and then use the text tool to chance the writing into something else like “republic of hatay” only english words come out.

• admin says:

Hi Eric,

The template does not translate the words for you. If you don’t have the arabic keyboard installed, you won’t be able to type in Arabic. Just type google “Arabic keyboard for Windows Vista” or whichever operating system you have.
      Or if you are not familiar with the Arabic language, you can try using google translate to translate the words and then copy them over to the template

Hope that helps!

8. K says:

thanks a lot.

9. Ruby says:

It still doesn’t work for me – I’ve tried everything :( When I opened the Marhaba template you’ve provided above, the letters showed up as disconnected again. I have an arabic keyboard installed, as well as arabic languages and arabic fonts. I’m so confused. Please help! Thanks!

10. Naimah Azza says:

Thank you for this tip it was VERY useful. Also thanks even more for for sharing the Arabic brushes! I was so excited once I started experimenting with them. The possibilities are endless!

11. khalid says:

12. Anas Imtiaz says:

Thanks man. It really helped me out. I was trying to type in Urdu but i could’nt find anyway to. However, after reading your article, i found a way to do my thing. Thanks a lot.

13. Israa says:

You sir are a genius! Thank you alot!